Who: Gene Peters
From: A Slightly Isolated Dog
Could you describe your company and the work you perform?
- Performance Company – we build imaginative experiences that create and grow sense of community.
- We engage and play with the audience in exciting and unique ways.
- We create unique and imaginative experiences – striving to create a place to practice make-believe together and grow your creative thinking.
- We’re re-imagining live performance for the 21st Century!
What are the core values of your company?
- Transformation / Imagination
- Inclusive / Communal
- Cheeky / Provocative
- Fun / Playfulness
- Immediacy of the live performance together
How would you describe the profile of your (prospective) audience?
- Fun / Playful
How do you currently engage your (prospective) audience?
- Social Media
- Rehearsals previews / Live events
- Sponsorship / Partnerships
Who are your sponsorship partners and how did you select them?
Companies and institutions we’ve built relationships with through past works and industry partners like Flick Electric… Circa Theatre, Q Theatre, Toi Whakaari, BATS, Shoreline Partners and others.
We try and partner with supporters who believe in the story and team and they also share common values around innovation – creativity – community.
We’re looking for companies that are interested in engaging their employees and clients in different – unique – entertaining ways. Over the last several years we have made a number of new works involving sponsors and partners in the creative process. We have performed preview showings of works in progress – as early as a few days into a new process. Our work is designed to meet an audience in different ways and respond to their reactions. So it is hugely beneficial for us to test new work with a live audience.
Could you describe the value shared and received beyond the dollars?
- We involve our supporters as part of the making team.
- Supporters get a unique experience and practice for the company and team, while giving a unique arts experience to their employees and clients.
- For us it builds a more sophisticated process that creates stronger work by including more members of the community. It essentially creates a platform to test new work with an audience.
- We also benefit because we get to work with them to more widely show the work and grow our audiences. At the same time, they build a strong relationship with our work and then they act as excited advocates for the shows.
- A final benefit for our supporters is that they have us meet and entertain their audience – this helps them build relationships with their employees and their clients. We can break the ice and broker a different way of being together. We take all the pressure off them to have to ‘be impressive’… our work creates a frame that allows everyone to play together – with ease and joy!